Rust no more….

Work has continued on the T van over the last few weeks at quite a pace. The entire underframe has been needle gunned back to metal, then all the unseen bits underneath was pressure washed to remove rust scale and grease flicked up from the wheels over the years.

Just before the last pin was removed & the spring lowered out

All 4 springs were removed at the start of the week, so we could needle gun and clean the entire spring, but also, so the W guards could be cleaned and painted entirely. The bonus with removing these parts, all the bushes and pins could be inspected and replaced if defective. All the brake rigging has received the same treatment. Out of all the bushes, only 3 out of 30 odd bushes required a new bush to be turned up.

Bek attacking the very annoying task of needle gunning the axle boxes.

The wheel sets and axle boxes also had the last bits of muck needle gunned and pressure washed ready for painting.

Adi prep washing the underframe.

As of Friday 30/10/20, the underframe and all the underframe parts were all ready for some form of paint. The first step is to apply the rust bond penetrating coating, which we were able to apply today. All it is, is a clear coat rust converter with a light green dye in it. (Just so you can see where you’ve been), but it also acts as a primer/sealer to stop the actual primer from frying any left over enamel or acrylic paint left on the job.

Fletch in the middle of spraying one of the buffer beams.
After having the rustbond applied.
All of the T vans underframe parts strategically set up in the workshop with the rustbond recently applied.

We have a big few days ahead of us. We have to prime everything, and then topcoat it with VR Wagon Red AND…. have the van back on its wheels…. before Wednesday!!

Stay tuned for more updates!!

The YVG are always working on exciting and unique projects! If you would like to support us in our ventures, please consider donating – http://www.vgr.com.au/donations.php

If you or someone you know is aged between 15 and 35 and interested in joining the YVG, Contact Fletcher for more info – yvg@vgr.com.au

Macedon Makeover

Unfortunately in early June, Our first class carriage Macedon was the victim of a graffiti attack which covered one side of the carriage. The Young Volunteers Group took to the clean up and it was decided a full repaint was needed. (Which was desperately required)

The above photo is after all the graffiti had been sanded off.

So the huge task of sanding, Bogging, masking etc began.

While we were sanding one of the door posts on the non platform side. A large rust hole was discovered. Thankfully Mick was quick onto the repairs, the old piece was cut out and a new piece rolled and welded in.

Mick standing proudly showing the before & after.

After a few weeks of prep, it was time for a couple of coats of primer.

Macedon was then transferred to the carriage shed at Castlemaine so the primer had time to cure, and Mick was able to utilize the workshop again to catch up on some carriage exams.

In late August, Macedon was once again back at Maldon so we could sand all the primer and get ready for the application of the beautiful red top coat.

After Top coat was applied, it was onto underframe detailing while the body had some time to cure

After a couple of weeks of detailing, it was time to wrap the whole body up so the roof could be sanded, Primed and Top coated.

It was decided to do the roof last, instead of first so the Red had a few weeks to properly cure before any sticker stencils was applied. Just in case the red wanted to come off with the stickers.

Once the body was wrapped up, we gave the roof a quick rub back. Once this was complete, the roof was primed. We had to hire in a scissor lift for this job as the OHS risks of working at that height on planks was too great, it also sped up the process enormously.

Above shows the roof just after all the Silver was sprayed. How snazzy!!!

It was also decided to put the air vents back on the clerestory. Macedon originally had these when it was a sleeping car on the Overland.

We also decided to break up the silver with a splash of red on the vertical part of the clerestory. Now it doesn’t resemble a boat hull as much.

Once the Roof was all done, it then came to the sign-writing. A number of hours research was done to track down all the original Pullman Fonts. Many thanks goes to Fran Philips from the USA who helps run Pullman Car ‘Dover Harbor’, who also helped us with tracking down original Pullman drawings.

If your ever in Washington D.C., We certainly recommend you check out Pullman car, ‘Dover Harbor’. Check out the website for details: https://doverharbor.com/

Paul Blake from Mort Signs kindly designed and printed all the sticker spray stencils, Then came all the way from Traralgon to fit all the stickers.

Paul posing with his awesome work!

Once Paul had finished, the uncovered parts of red was quickly masked back up and we got straight into spraying the Yellow.

The next morning, we unwrapped the big present and got straight into the final detailing on the car. Ready for its wash and polish on the Friday.

Saturday 3rd of October, It was finally all finished and bought out for the Official YVG photo in front of Maldon station and of course the group photo with everyone that worked on it (A few people couldnt make it for the photo)

Im sure everyone will agree, the finished product looks absolutely amazing.

Looks a bit snazzy!!
The small group who made Macedon look a million dollars.

L-R: Fletch, Adisson, Baz, Dave, Lauren, Chelsea, Bek & Mick. Absent: Riley, Kade & Tom.