Prime me up

So following on from our previous Blog post… Our day didn’t go quite as planned.

But, we were able to get all the new boards primed and a little bit of sanding done on the No. 2 end.

Riley spotting while Fletch primes the new boards

While in the middle of spraying, we discovered we’re not going to have enough primer to complete the entire van. Luckily.. we had enough to put one coat of primer on all the new boards (which was our aim).

Fletch spraying the last row of boards.

With this particular brand of paint we are using, they currently have no primer available in the country. So we have to wait until mid jan before we can get anymore.

Having to wait until Mid jan shouldn’t be a problem, this gives us time to fix all the new boards on, complete sanding and bogging before the final coat of primer is needed.

All the soldiers standing proud

With a few of the YVG members on holidays now.. we should be getting stuck right into the Van. So stay tuned for more exciting progress over the coming weeks!!!

The YVG are always working on exciting and unique projects! If you would like to support us in our ventures, please consider donating – http://www.vgr.com.au/donations.php

If you or someone you know is aged between 15 and 35 and interested in joining the YVG, Contact Fletcher for more info – yvg@vgr.com.au

Sealing up T222.. well.. the new timbers…

Since our last post about getting the T vans underframe and parts all painted up, work has slowed down due to various reasons.

But, we are back into the swing of things. All Brake rigging was connected back up after a few bushes were replaced and some new pins were sourced, which then allowed the P.V. (Brake Piston & Triple Valve) exam to be completed. As expected, it passed this exam with flying colors.

All the new boards were given a sand and stacked up ready to be sealed, 2 of the 4 doors have been removed. One door needed to be pulled apart and rebuilt because part of the frame had broken. Our chippie, Fletch quickly machined up some new pieces, reassembled and clad the door. The next 3 doors only require a few cosmetic bits to be replaced, Nothing major!

Starting to look more like a door. (New piece can be seen under the hammer)
All back together & screw holes bogged up
Just after all the cladding was finished. Screw holes still needs to be filled in.

The workshop crew went on holidays from the 18th December, So in true YVG fashion, we very quickly moved the van into the workshop and took over!! All the tarps were removed within 5 minutes of the van being in the shops.

Over the past few nights, 90% of the old boards have been removed in preparation for the new sticks. But, there’s a few jobs to do before this can happen.

No.2 end still requiring sanding, Most of the “Platform side” boards removed

All the new boards were set up along one side of the van and both sides of the F so they could be timber sealed. We’ve used a 2 pack epoxy sealer which penetrates the timber pores, Preserves the timber and also maximizes the timbers strength.

Riley looking like a stick while sealing the sticks
Fletch sealing the short boards for above the doors.
All sealed and ready for primer

Tomorrow, we hope to prime all the new boards, so they are ready to bang on the van as required. We might also be able to get some sanding done on the No.2 end, Bog the No.1 end and remove the last 2 doors… might be a bit ambitious.. but check back tomorrow and see how we progressed.

The YVG are always working on exciting and unique projects! If you would like to support us in our ventures, please consider donating – http://www.vgr.com.au/donations.php

If you or someone you know is aged between 15 and 35 and interested in joining the YVG, Contact Fletcher for more info – yvg@vgr.com.au